Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Cell Phone History

Ok, time for another crazy story from Yours Truly.

Background:
After getting to Israel in August, I rented a phone for the year from a local cell phone provider.  They focus on providing American students short-term phone rentals in Israel.  They gave me an old cell phone to use, but they apparently forgot to clear all the old contact phone #s and text messages, etc.

Today, I discovered that there are a ton of old Sent Text messages saved in the phone, clearly belonging to the last few people who owned the phone before me.  Before deleting them en masse, some of the old sent messages piqued my interest.  So I decided to scan through some of them.
(Note: I am only able to see the outbound SENT messages; I cannot see any of the incoming messages.)

The first sent message that I really noticed was this one:

To Leo-  Going to hospital cuz I keep having panic attacks and passing out. i can't deal. :( tell ur mom i loved her call.  i'll be okay. :(  i just hope i get thru this fast

Based on this, I'm thinking the previous phone owner was probably some American girl here for a pre-college gap year program in Israel, and she can't deal with living on her own for the first time.  Typical teenager.
But the next few texts seemed to suggest something more.
(Note that these are going backwards chronologically.)

To D-  I can't talk about it much cuz it makes me too anxious, but i'm grateful for everyones support
To D-  I'm not supposed to talk about it cuz it gives me anxiety.  I'm just really lucky.  lots of overwhelming feelings.
To D-  I mean emotionally I'm having a hard time but physically just a bruise! Thank God!
To D-  I'm not overwhelmed that I'm leaving [Israel] just overwhelmed that my brain doesn't work and my hands shake! But with God's help I'll be okay.
To P-  I want to come over soon.  I can't think straight.  I don't like being alone here.

Then I read this text and realized this person might actually have a real reason to be 'emotionally overwhelmed'

To D-  Like everyone around me was bleeding and hurt and i was totally alive.  It's not normal! So I'm leaving Sunday.
To P-  No I'm not okay but i'm trying. A social worker is coming to try and help us.
To D-  O, he was my brother's friend. Thank God now I'm okay. I am so lucky. I'm just drained and still shaken up. Dani and I said Shema. It's not normal!
[Note: 'Shema' is a Jewish prayer that is said before one dies (or if you think you are about to die.)]

And then I got to the crazy and realized what she was talking about...

To D-  No physically fine.  Was on the bus that blew up. Thank God still alive. Thanks for asking
To P-  The bus blew up glass shattered and I said Shema
To P-  I was in the terrorist attack. i'm going to the hospital.
To E-  I'm so sorry, I need to cancel babysitting. i was just in the terrorist bombing. i'm okay but shaken up

WTF! Crazy! This person was actually on the bus that got bombed in Jerusalem this past March (which amazingly killed only 1 person).  And she lived!  And she didn't even get hurt! And I have her phone! And it still works!

Craziness!

PS. That bombing was the first bombing attack in Israel in almost 4 years.  It's actually a very safe place to live, so hopefully this post doesn't convey the wrong idea about living in Israel.  Come visit!
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Jerusalem_bus_stop_bombing>.

No comments:

Post a Comment