Thursday, March 31, 2011

Heart attack

So a few weeks back, I was in a small but important meeting with one of the senior VPs of our client company in Pittsburgh.  During that meeting, I made the mistake of checking my Blackberry for an urgent email I was expecting from another client.  I didn't disrupt anything by checking my phone, but apparently the VP noticed, and at the end of the meeting, she made a passing comment about how she's made an effort to never check her Blackberry during meetings.

Needless to say, after getting called out by a senior VP like that, I got the message.

Fast forward a few weeks to yesterday...

I'm scheduled to attend another small meeting with the same set of clients and the same senior VP.  Exact same scenario as a few weeks ago.

So, on my way to the meeting, I double-check my phone to make sure it's on silent, and I put it in my pocket.  Furthermore, I make a strong mental note to myself: "Dude, don't touch your cell phone this time or she is gonna flip."


Needlessly to say, I made damn sure I wasn't going to disturb the meeting again.

Anyway, we start the meeting.  It's going well.  Great discussion.  I'm more or less quiet, letting the important people do the talking, when suddenly...

Riiiiiiiiing, riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing.


Phone rings.  I nearly poop my pants.  On the spot.  Seriously.  I am literally paralyzed by fear for a good 2 seconds thinking I'm gonna get fired for screwing up again.  My life is over.

Then I realize it's my boss' cell phone.  He's sitting next to me and has the exact same ringtone as me.  He calmly pulls out his phone and turns it off.  And the meeting continues as if nothing had happened.

But in my mind I'm still in terror shock, trying to calm down.  My heartbeat is still trying to recover from those 2 seconds of sheer terror.  And even though I knew everything was fine and that it wasn't my phone, I was still in a cold sweat the rest of the meeting.

Anyway, the whole situation confirmed two things for me:
1. Always put your cell phone on silent before meetings.
2. Always wear deodorant

No comments:

Post a Comment