Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Stupid Stiebel-only problem

A short anecdote about me being unnecessarily stupid in public:

Last Friday, I attended a recruiting event for my company.  We were giving a presentation to a group of business students for Univ of Iowa, followed by some mingling and Q&A.

So during the mingling/Q&A, I'm with a few of my colleagues talking with a handful of the undergrad students from Iowa.  Very nice conversation and whatever whatever.

But as the conversation progresses, I realize that my yarmulke on my head is slowly sliding backwards.  (Because I had just gotten a really short haircut, my yarmulke tends to slide more often.)

Now, normally, if my yarmulke starts to slide or fall off, I simply reach up and move it back up with my hand.  But for some reason, I thought that reaching up and grabbing my yarmulke during this Q&A conversation would interrupt the flow of conversation among the group.

So instead of sliding the yarmulke back onto the top of my head, I simply started to tilt my head forward.  The more it slid backward, the more I tilted forward.  But pretty soon, I was staring at everyone's feet!  And at the same time, I was still trying to carry on a totally normal conversation!

Ugh, this is a situation that only I would get into.

In the end, I realized that trying to talk with my chin on my chest was more awkward than simply reaching up and readjusting my yarmulke.  So I did.  And no one even blinked or noticed.

(But on the positive side, I'm pretty sure my socks matched each other that day.)

No comments:

Post a Comment