Monday, April 12, 2010

More cowbell

My case team meeting took a strange turn today.

I was meeting with four people from my team earlier today, including two of my bosses.  Right before diving into the business nitty-gritty, we were informally discussing things we did this past weekend.  One of the older consultants from San Francisco says that he had a cold all weekend, but that it allowed him to catch up on his TV and movie watching.  And then he asks us if we've seen the Christopher Walken/SNL/Cowbell sketch.

Of course I've seen that sketch, I cry.  It's only one of the greatest SNL sketches ever! I start laughing with him about it, but then I realize that the other three people on the team have no idea what we're laughing about.  They've never seen the SNL Cowbell sketch!  !!!

I try to explain the sketch to them, but then instead I suggest that we simply watch it on the overhead projector (which we were suppposed to be using for our meeting.)  My manager decides that we will watch it after we finish the meeting.  And so, the meeting goes on.

Literally the moment we finished the meeting agenda, the manager immediately says, "Ok, get on Hulu and show us this sketch, because I don't think it's as funny as you say it is.  I'm not expecting much."

So the older consultant starts searching Hulu, but he's having a hard time finding it.  So he simultaneously searches YouTube, but still can't find it.  Meanwhile, the three cowbell-virgins are starting to lose focus.

Finally, he finds a copy of the video, but it keeps pausing every 3 seconds to buffer.  So he pauses it to let it load, and asks everyone to wait.  By this time, the rest of the team is pretty well distracted with their notes and emails and whatnot.

So when he finally clicks play, the sketch starts going but only he and I are watching it.  We are laughing hysterically while the other three are not really following the sketch.  They glance up now and then with a WTF expression on their faces, but they are clearly not appreciating the greatness of the sketch.  It's just me and him laughing at every funny quote ("I have a fever, fellas...., and the only prescription...is more cowbell), at every Will Ferrell hip gyration, and at every line that Jimmy Fallon fails to deliver with a straight-face, while the rest of the team sits quietly looking at us in bewilderment.

What an odd way to end a team meeting.

More Cowbell - SNL Sketch Video

No comments:

Post a Comment