Saturday, January 23, 2010

Baby

(A short story from last week that I forgot to post)

I went to visit my sister a few days ago.  I hadn't seen my sister, nor my nephew, nor my brother-in-law in a few days, so it was nice to go visit them and hang out for a bit.

Anyway, I walk in to their apartment, say hello to everyone, and sit down at their dining room table.  I notice the baby is sitting in his little rocker chair on the floor next to me, so I start goo-goo-ga-ga-ing with him.  Cute kid.

But then I realize that he isn't as cute as he used to be.  And that he has gotten a lot bigger since the last time I saw him.  His head is way huge now.  But he also looks different.  His head is more square and block-like, and his forehead had gotten bigger and flatter.  He seems thicker, too.

I was definitely perplexed because I know that babies grow pretty quick, but it had only been a few days since I saw him last. Was it possible for him to change so much in such a short period of time?  I don't know, but I was definitely a bit puzzled.  And I was sad that he was growing out of his super-cute phase so quickly.

A few minutes later, my sister walks into the dining room, sees me with the baby, and realizes I look confused.

Then she tells me that it's not her baby.  It's one of the neighbor's babies.  Her baby is sleeping in the other room.

Good job, David.  Way to recognize your own nephew.

No comments:

Post a Comment