Thursday, January 21, 2010

Little people and my internal struggle

I'm walking on the streets of downtown Chicago this afternoon.  There are a fair amount of people roaming the sidewalks, but it's not terribly crowded.

I suddenly notice, about a half-block away, walking towards me, two little people.  By "little people", I don't just mean people who happen to be little.  I mean "little people" as in the PC term for...um, little people.  (This blog is strictly PC, folks.)

Anyway, there are two little people walking down the street, walking towards me.  To anybody else, this would be a non-occasion, and it should have been nothing special to me.

But my mind started racing.

As I'm about to pass them by, I start thinking that I shouldn't stare.  Right?  Staring would be rude of course.  But then I wonder that if I don't stare, it might be obvious that I'm not staring.  I might end up intently looking away from them, making it obvious that I'm trying not to stare.  Wouldn't that be worse than looking at them?  I don't want them to think I'm purposely trying not to look at them.

So should I stare instead?  Clearly not.  So I need to find the perfect balance between stare and not stare.

So I decide that a furtive glance should be appropriate.  But as they get nearer and nearer, I start worrying about what type of furtive glance I should give them.  A glance with a smile?  A glance with a blank facial expression?  Do I give a nod of the head?!?

All of these thoughts went through my head while I was approaching these two people on the sidewalk.  It was ridiculous!

In the end, I don't remember what sort of glance I decided to give them, but I wouldn't be surprised if the two little people write their own blog entry tonight about the weird guy they saw muttering to himself on the streets of Chicago today.

2 comments:

  1. Sophie and I just read this blog in hysterics!! :) Well said. I struggle with the same thing everyday on my way to work...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stiebel, you'll get used to it. In the end, you'll notice that you'll grow accustomed to just ignoring lots of pedestrians, big or little. Carry around an iPod!

    ReplyDelete