Sunday, January 17, 2010

Pants

(Not sure if this is worthy of a blog post, but I'm in charge here, so I'm gonna post about it anyway.)

So my work dress code is pretty simple.  In short, it's business casual, which means button-down shirt and slacks.  That's it.

So I brought a few black slacks with me to Chicago.  I had tried all of them on before leaving Michigan, so I knew that they all fit.  I was not expecting to have any issues with my pants in Chicago.  But of course, I'm David Stiebel, and I will *always* have problems with these things...

First day of work:
I wear one of my black slacks, very comfortable.  No problems during the day, but when I get home later that night, I discover that there is a hole in the crotch.  (Why am I not surprised)  Anyway, after I recover from this shocking discovery (and the realization that I wore pants with a hole in the crotch to my first day of work), I put the pants in my 'do-not-wear-again' pile.

Second day of work:
I wear a different set of black slacks.  They are made of different material than the crotch-less pants I wore the first day, but they are still comfortable.  When I put them on in the morning, they are clean and pressed.  They look great.
But after less than an hour of work, I realize that they are accumulating a lot of lint.  Something about the cloth material is like a super-magnet for lint.  By lunch time, the pants were covered in hundreds of little pieces of dust, little hairs, whatever.  They had seriously gone from black pants to grey pants in a matter of hours.  (I tried taking a picture of my pants while I was wearing them, which is sort of weird, but you couldn't really see the lint in the picture.)
Needless to say, when I got home finally, those pants also got thrown into the 'do-not-wear-again' pile.

Anyway, I haven't had any more problems with my other pants since then.  But now I have to ration my pants a little more carefully for the rest of my time here in Chicago.

(Unrelated to this:  Another thing I noticed when I was trying to take a picture of the lint-covered pants was that I was wearing blue socks with black pants and black shoes.  Is that problematic?  I'm not really sure, but I'm going to guess that it was a bad thing.)

1 comment: