Thursday, January 7, 2010

An evening of culinary madness

Boy, tonight was quite a night.  Culinary debauchery is a pretty good description.  Allow me to begin at the beginning.

I was at my sister's house earlier this afternoon, waiting to drive her, my bro-in-law, and my nephew to the airport, when suddenly, we all get very hungry.  We have about 20 minutes before we have to go, so what do we decide to make for dinner?.....Of course, the obvious thing is steak.

Yes, we quickly fried up some pieces of steak (Item #1), as well as heated up some delicious chicken soup (Item #2).  Clearly, this is what normal people make for dinner when they only have about 20 minutes available.  Let's just say I ate my fair share of steak, and I ate it quickly, and I was quite stuffed during the ride to the airport.

After dropping them at the airport, on my way back home to Lakeview, I get invited by a friend to come hang out at another friend's place nearby.  I arrived at approximately 8 pm, and promptly had a cup of tea (Item #3).  The second friend was in the middle of baking an apple pie for a dinner she is hosting tomorrow night, so I had a few apple slices (Item #4) with my tea.  So far so good.

Now, you must realize that I had recently eaten steak, and since I don't eat anything dairy after I've eaten steak (see Kosher laws about milk and meat), I'm not really expecting to eat much of anything for the rest of the night.

But suddenly, my friend decides to make two lemon meringue pies, and after making the lemon filling, she informs me that the filling is dairy-free!  Oy gevalt!  So obviously, I can't help trying a few spoonfuls of the raw lemon filling to see how it tastes (Item #5).  Delicious!

And then she put some of the raw filling in a small cup and baked it so that we could see what the final product would taste like.  (It was amazing!! (Item #6))

I also noticed some raw lemon peel shavings in a bowl on the counter and tried some of those (Item #7). [Note to self: Don't eat raw lemon peel shavings again.]

At this point, my friend has noticed that I'm eating random things around her kitchen.  So she offers me a jar of mixed nuts, which I initially decline because I wanted to show some semblance of restraint.  But then after 5 minutes, I noticed the jar again and had a handful of nuts (Item #8).

Then my friend points out a small cup of homemade chocolate sauce sitting on the counter, and she suggests that I might like it.  WTF?!!  Why would she think I would just eat straight chocolate sauce out of a jar?  What sort of person does she think I am?!


She was right.  It was delicious. (Item #9)

At this point, I'm starting to realize that things have gotten out of control.  But then she pulls out a tray of broiled brussel sprouts, hot out of the oven.  I can't resist.


(Item #10, 11, 12, 13, 14, ...)

Finally, I ended the night with another cup of tea (Item #whogivesadamn), and then I slowly walked home wondering what the hell just happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment