Friday, January 29, 2010

Cooking extravaganza

So last night I made a real dinner for myself and a friend.  And I did it all by myself.

Originally, I was just going to make the dinner, and then take a picture of the result.  But as I started slicing and dicing and frying and cooking, I realized that I needed to document the whole process!  Obviously!

So here goes a whirlwind account of my cooking experience:

First, I wrote up my recipe plan for the chicken dish I was going to make.  I posted this on my fridge for easy-reading.
Simple, but delicious recipe
(And by the way, the plumber magnet is unrelated to the recipe.)

Then I proceeded to slice the chicken, and I didn't cut myself!  Yay, go me!

Yum, raw chicken breasts.

Then I threw some sweet potatoes in the microwave for 10 minutes.  These are going to be my secret side-dish.

Then I seared the chicken breasts.  Searing is my favorite thing to do with all things chicken and beef.  It's easy and makes things delicious.

Sear in hot pan for awesomeness.

Then I sauced and onioned the seared chicken in an aluminum pan.  This is the heart of my recipe cuz you get to do whatever you want.  BBQ sauce, teriyaki, duck sauce, whatever.  Everything goes.  I even put some sliced onions and some avocado on one of the chicken breasts.

(are you getting hungry yet?)

Then I sliced up the cooked sweet potatoes, put them in the chicken pan, and baked the whole lot for 15 minutes.

In the words of my dinnermate Shanna, "This picture does not do justice to this chicken."
(She also said the chicken was inappropriately delicious. Does that make sense?)

In the end, the food turned out really really good.  The chicken was super moist (as a result of the searing I think.)  The onions were delicious, and the avocado was also super tasty.  And the sweet potatoes turned out hot and slightly crispy (as intended), but still very melt-in-your-mouth-ish.

I will definitely be making this recipe more often.  It's easy and fun to make, and it turns out damn good every time (almost).

Bon Appetite!

3 comments:

  1. Wow! I'm really impressed. So nice to see you making something other than tuna and pasta...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just make sure you dont get raw chicken juices on your camera. Cross contamination is a bad thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. David, I was so impressed! It was absolutely delicious! I actually used your searing technique the following night for shabbat tubshevat. Now I remember the inappropriate piece, yes I clarified that to you later.
    Haha!

    Shanna

    ReplyDelete