Sunday, January 3, 2010

My own kitchen - uh oh

One major difference between living in a dorm/frat, and living in my own apartment is the kitchen.

I am definitely NOT a chef. I like simple-to-make foods, that involve easy cleanup. But I like foods that make me THINK I'm doing advanced cooking. For example, my friend Stephen Fried (edit: who originally learned this recipe from Sara Segal) taught me a great way of making mac-and-cheese using a ChefMate hot-water pot. It doesn't involve EasyMac or powdered cheese, but it's pretty simple and tastes good.

1. boil water
2. add pasta
3. when pasta is done, drain water
4. add cheese, mix
5. eat

I don't know why I am so obsessed with this recipe. It's stupidly simple, but it makes me feel like I'm doing real cooking. And I'm excited to try a few different variations, like adding salsa or marinara or BBQ sauce. Or mixing in some broccoli or tuna. The possibilities are endless, and it's so gourmet!!

Anyway, I also have a toaster oven, a microwave, and a frying pan. When I start to use these things, I will have to find some new simple, "gourmet" recipes to try. If you have any suggestions, please share!

1 comment:

  1. and im pretty sure moist learned that trick from sara!

    ReplyDelete