Thursday, January 7, 2010

Funny story from Israel

So my dad is currently in Israel visiting our extended family, and he just called me and told me a hilarious thing that happened to him yesterday.

He was trying to meet up with one of our cousins, Alon, who lives in a very religious Jewish neighborhood near Haifa, Israel.  Everyone in this neighborhood, including Alon and his family, are hasidic, which means big beard, black hat, white shirt, etc.


My cousin sort of looks like this,
but with a bigger beard.

My dad is driving into town with a car, so Alon tells him to drive up to the bus station and he'll meet him there.  Then they'll drive together back to Alon's house.  Piece of cake.  What could possibly go wrong?

When my dad gets to the bus station, he sees a guy (with a beard, black hat, etc.) waving at him.  The guy is standing at the bus stop with his wife and baby.  So my dad pulls up to them, picks them up, and asks them where to drive to to get home.

After a few minutes of conversation, though, my dad realizes that this is not Alon and his family!  It's just some random guy who needed a ride somewhere in the neighborhood.  (Hitchhiking is very common in Israel.)  I think they knew who Alon was, though, and they pointed my dad in the right direction.

Anyway, my dad eventually found Alon's house and had lunch there with his family (probably not pierogies, though.)

No comments:

Post a Comment