Sunday, January 17, 2010

Mystery solved

So I was at a fancy dinner restaurant a few nights ago with some of my colleagues and managers.  This place was super fancy, with a coat check, and real knowledgable fancy waiters, and real silverware.  The works.

Anyway, when we first arrived, I checked my coat, and I was given a small tag with a number on it so that I could get my coat back.  I put the card in my shirt pocket.

I also keep my phone in my shirt pocket, and I made sure not to knock the card out every time I took my phone in and out of my pocket.  (For some reason I was being very careful about this card because I didn't want to look stupid in front of my managers.)

Anyway, the meal ends, we get up to leave.  I get to the coat check, and I reach into my shirt pocket to fish out the card, and it's gone!!  I'm baffled because I knew for a fact that it was in my pocket, and that I had not knocked it out.

So where the hell did it go?  I couldn't figure it out, and I'm holding up the coat check line with this dumb WTF expression on my face.  I was so baffled.

Luckily, I had remembered the ticket number, so I told the guy and he gave me my coat anyway.  (Nice guy!)  So I did get my coat back, but I was so confused about the ticket's disappearance.

So now it's Sunday morning, and I happened to be playing with my phone.  By chance, I took off the rubber cover, and lo and behold, the damn ticket is inside!!  At first, I just caught a glimpse of the corner of it, but I immediately realized what it was.  I felt like Charlie Bucket discovering the Golden ticket inside his candy bar, except in this case it was David Stiebel discovering a coat check ticket inside his Blackberry phone.


This is where I found the ticket.  Lucky #59.

Now I just have to decide how much effort I will put into returning the ticket to the restaurant.  I think it will be a little awkward to walk in one afternoon and tell the head waiter, "O, I'm not here to eat.  I'm just returning this little coat check ticket that I accidentally stole from you a few weeks ago."

I know the restaurant probably doesn't care about me returning this thing, but I want to make sure I don't have to atone for this on Yom Kippur.

No comments:

Post a Comment