Monday, January 4, 2010

Goal #1 - Healthier lifestyle

Hear ye, hear ye!  Important development in the life of David Stiebel...

I am finally going to try to take better care of myself.

Actually, that's misleading.  I've always tried to take better care of myself.  It's just that I've always failed to take better care of myself.  My vows to jog each day usually only last for that one day.  And whenever I promise to limit myself to one plate or serving per meal, I typically break that commitment as soon as I find a really delicious meal served on plates that are too small!

But hopefully, now that I have a steady routine each day, I can start doing some consistent exercise and healthy eating each day.  In fact, I've already stopped using the elevator in my apartment building.  I always take the stairs to get up and down from the third floor.  *pats self on back*

Anyway, I am going to focus on two things:
1. Better diet - I can only live for so long on pasta and cheese.  And triscuit-hummus-and-hot-sauce sandwiches are probably not so good either.  (Even though they are certainly delicious!  I have to remember to add that to my official gourmet recipe list.)
2. Exercise more (aka. any exercise at all would be more than what I'm doing right now)

I'm still trying to hash out exactly what my "better diet" will consist of, but hopefully more fruits and vegetables.  My office downtown always has a basket of fresh apples, pears, plums setup in the kitchen, so I'm hoping to commit myself to eating 2 things of fruit each day.  And of course, I have to stop gorging on the blatantly unhealthy stuff, like pizza, pop, fries, coffee, etc.

The key to maintaining healthy eating is to make the healthy stuff actually taste good.  That's why I need to focus on simple recipes that are healthy.  Like quickly grilling chicken, chopping it up, and throwing it into a salad.  Bam!  Fish is apparently easy to make, too, but I haven't tried that yet in my apartment.

As for exercise, who knows.  While it's still freezing outside, I guess I will try to exercise a bit before I shower each morning/night.  Push-ups and sit-ups and jogging in place until I break a sweat.  That should be feasible to maintain, right?

Anyway, hopefully, stay tuned for more updates on my healthierization in the coming weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment